Permits and notifications - Shipping - Yleistä

All ships flagged to Finland must undergo an initial inspection before they are taken into service.

Pursuant to the international Maritime Labour Convention, all ships with a gross tonnage of at least 500 that are engaged in international voyages must have a maritime labour certificate. Maritime labour certificates can also be issued to smaller ships that are engaged in international voyages. In Finland, maritime labour certificates are issued by the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency, and only ships that have undergone an occupational safety and health inspection can be issued one.

It is the shipowner’s responsibility to ask their Regional State Administrative Agency’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health to carry out an initial inspection and a maritime labour certification inspection.

Permits and notifications - Shipping - Lainsäädäntö